Package Information - postfix3
Postfix3 replaces the EL stock postfix packages and will always contain the latest version of postfix available. These packages are backwards compatible with the EL stock postfix packages with the following caveats:
- Postfix 2.3 (EL 5) and 2.6 (EL 6) do not support the smtpd_relay_restrictions setting which was introduced in Postfix 2.10. The default for this setting is not backwards compatible, it should be set to nothing (blank) or "permit" for full backwards compatibility.
- Older versions of Postfix do not support SMTPUTF8 and EL5 and 6 versions of postfix3 from GhettoForge are compiled without SMTPUTF8 support due to lack of library support in EL5 and 6. Postfix 3.0 introduced the smtputf8_enable setting which defaults to "yes" which causes postfix to issue a warning about the lack of compiled in support in EL5 and 6. To get rid of the warning you should explicitly set smtputf8_enable to "no".
- Postfix 3.0 introduced the compatibility_level setting which permits backwards compatibility while allowing defaults to change in future versions of postfix as needed. When you upgrade from older versions postfix will maintain many backwards compatible defaults until you update the compatibility_level setting to tell Postfix that you want the newer defaults. Postfix will, however, issue warnings about compatibility_level not being set and also tell you which settings you should change before updating the compatibility_level setting.
- Postfix 3.0 introduced dynamic map support. With this we have moved support for many table types to individual packages. You will need to install the individual packages for each table type you want support for. To support the same table types as in the stock postfix packages you should install the following packages: postfix3 postfix3-ldap postfix3-mysql postfix3-pcre
Instructions for replacing the EL stock postfix packages with the postfix3 packages in GhettoForge
- Install the gf-release package as per Usage.
- Use the yum shell command to update your system to postfix3:
# yum shell --enablerepo=gf-plus > remove postfix > install postfix3 postfix3-ldap postfix3-mysql postfix3-pcre
(note that the stock postfix from EL has compiled-in support for ldap, mysql and pcre table types, but you may not need to support all these table types. If you don't feel free to leave them out of the install command above)
... You will be prompted to update to postfix3 and associated sub-packages.
- EL5 and 6 only: Fix non-backwards-compatible settings:
# postconf smtpd_relay_restrictions=permit smtputf8_enable=no
- Restart Postfix:
# service postfix restart
...At this point you should have a look in /var/log/maillog. You will see warnings about compatibility_level and various settings that you should change before changing compatibility_level, but other than that Postfix should start up and run and be fully backwards compatible with the stock version you were running before. You can now explicitly set the various settings that Postfix complains about to remove the warnings for them. Do not update the compatibility_level setting until all other settings are fixed and Postfix no longer complains about any of them except for compatibility_level itself.
If you have problems or need further assistance feel free to join #ghettoforge or #postfix on the FreeNode IRC network for assistance.